EFFECTIVE APRIL 2022
At Black Box Customs Inc. (“BBC”) employee, contractor and client information is handled with the utmost confidence.
Your Privacy Rights
In Alberta, all commercial businesses are required to comply with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”) and the provincial Personal Information Protection Act (“PIPA”). These laws apply in addition to and not in replacement of the provincial Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (“FOIPP”).
What Is Personal Information?
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
In the course of our relationship with you, BBC may collect personal information about you such as your:
- name, home address, telephone number, facsimile number and personal email address;
- billing and account information;
- your Possession and Acquisition Licence (“PAL”) and/or your Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence (“RPAL”)
- information regarding specific projects.
Why Do We Collect Personal Information?
Generally speaking, BBC collects, uses and discloses personal information in order to provide effective services. Specific purposes for which we collect, use and disclose your personal information include:
- Establishing, maintaining, and concluding our relationship with you, which includes issuing invoices, administering accounts, and collecting and processing payments;
- Communicating with third parties involved in the project services we provide, parties and third parties aligned in interest, such as the office of the Chief Firearms Officer.
- Complying with any applicable laws or regulatory requirements; and
- Any other reasonable purpose to which you consent.
When Do We Disclose Personal Information?
In certain circumstances your personal information may be disclosed by BBC:
- Where you have consented to the disclosure;
- Where we are required or authorized to do so by applicable laws and regulations;
- To comply with legal processes such as a search warrant, subpoena or court order;
- Where the personal information is already publicly known;
BBC does not sell your personal information to any third party to enable them to market their products and services.
The main purpose of the PIPEDA and PIPA legislation is to ensure that businesses such as BBC obtain an individual’s consent to collect, use or disclose his or her personal information.
Your consent may be expressly given (either orally electronically or in writing), implied (as a reasonable conclusion from your actions), or deemed (where information is given by you voluntarily or where you do not refuse consent when given a reasonable opportunity to do so). For example, when you retain the services of BBC, we will assume that you have provided your consent in relation to all matters reasonably related to the engagement or particular project.
Generally, we will seek your consent at the time that we collect, use, or disclose your personal information. We may ask for your consent in writing, but in many circumstances we will accept your oral consent. Sometimes, your consent may be implied through your conduct with us.
Subject to legal and contractual requirements, you may refuse or withdraw your consent at any time by contacting our Privacy Officer and providing reasonable notice. If you refuse or withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you or continue to provide you with the services or information that you requested from BBC.
Is My Personal Information Secure?
BBC is responsible for all personal information in its custody or control, and therefore, we take all reasonable precautions to protect your personal information from loss, unauthorized access, alteration or disclosure. Not only is our office physically secure, but we use technology such as security software, passwords, and firewalls to protect our computers and other office systems.
Updating Your Personal Information
Over the course of our relationship, your personal information may change. It is important that the information we have about you is accurate and current, and you will receive the best possible service from BBC if you keep us informed as changes occur. If we have any information about you that you can establish contains an error, let us know and we will take reasonable steps to correct it.
How Can I Access My Personal Information?
Simply contact our Privacy Officer if you wish to review, verify or correct your personal information. Please note that we may require you to put your request in writing depending on the specific request being made. Also, there may be fees associated with your access request but we will provide you with a written estimate of total costs before we begin any work.
Your access request may be denied in certain circumstances such as:
- Where required or authorized by applicable laws and regulations;
- where the requested information is subject to solicitor client, litigation, or work-product privilege;
- where the requested information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings against you;
- when granting your request would unreasonably impact another person's privacy;
- to protect the rights and property of BBC;
Managing Partner and Privacy Officer
Black Box Customs Inc.
Bay 8, 4420 75 Ave SE
Calgary, AB T2C 2H8